Do you ever get the inspiration to totally change everything……okay, not change everything, but move around the furniture, change what’s on the walls, get rid of it all and start over? Maybe it’s just me.
Of course, I’m also the person who is CONSTANTLY trying to figure out the BEST way to do something. It really is exhausting.
Onto the point of this here post:
I was completely tired of my dresser in my bedroom. It was big and bulky and, for being so big and bulky, it didn’t really hold a lot of clothes. It was a garage sale find that had done a good job but I was ready for a change. However, the problem (or I guess obstacle is a better word) with wanting a change is I’m not always (or ever!) in a position to go out and buy exactly what I want.
Enter: Entertainment Center!
This entertainment center (like almost ALL of my furniture) was not new to me. It was in my brother’s house for a while and I’ve had for about four years of so. It was a good entertainment center but I had new purpose for it in mind.
STEP #1-Carry the monster outside. Living alone is just fine but there are some obstacles like wanting to move an enormous piece of furniture by yourself. The tv that was in the entertainment center is another story that involves me smashing my dvd player in half, skinning my knee and landing on top of the top before rolling over onto my back in the middle of the living room. ANYWAY, I finally got the E.C. (entertainment center) outside but didn’t quite make it out to the grass. Oops!
STEP #2-Paint (sadly by the worst spray-painter ever). So, my brother is a builder-y type handy person taught me his no-fail spray-paint technique over the phone. Well, I failed. It looked like crap. Luckily I was going to cover it anyway. SIDENOTE: Please don’t judge my kitchen floor. I knew I was going to this project so I did NOT clean the muddy puppy paw prints beforehand.
STEP #3-Decoupage awful paint job to salvage the thing. Let me just say I this was not as easy as it looks. The paper wrinkled. Even if I cut perfect dimensions, it never looked quite right. The perfectionist in my
had to move out of my body for a few hours because it was just NOT working. I just have to accept that this is the best it can be (for me doing it anyway). I used wrapping paper from Hobby Lobby. I had gotten in Christmas because it was SO cute but didn’t look Christmas-y. It was perfect for this project. I used a coordinating wrapping paper for the insets on the front
(which was my original intention to ONLY do but, after the awful paint job, the sides needed to be covered too. Luckily, it looks better than I imagined.)
STEP #4-After it dries, move it to it’s new home. Lucky for me, after my mom found out I was moving all this stuff by myself, she worried I would hurt myself (a legitimate fear, no doubt). She was on the phone with our mutual friend Mrs. Alicia (yes I am an adult who calls another adult Mrs. Alicia but, when we worked together, this is what I called her in front of the kids and it stuck). She is fabulous and so handy. She came over and helped me move the old dresser to the curb (which was picked up in less than 24 hours, yes!) and helped me move my new lovely wardrobe into my bedroom.
STEP #5-Hang tension rod, add clothes, and marvel and your own awesomeness. SIDENOTE-fortunately for me, my house does NOT lack on closet space. This is great for pajamas, tank tops, and sweats!
Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed my journey of repurposing!