This past Tuesday, 2nd Grade performed a collection of songs about the seasons. I had done a version of this program before with younger grades but I think it was more successful with 2nd. We were able to sing more difficult songs and not overly focus on the cutesy stuff….although it was WAY cute!
Here is our set list:
The Seasons (SBMM)
Autumn Leaf (MK8)
Snow is Falling Today (MK8)
I Don’t Care if the Rain Comes Down (SBMM)
Whacky Spring Fever (MK8)
Spring Has Sprung (SBMM)
It’s Summer (MK8)
I had over 80 participants (and it would have been more if there hadn’t been an epidemic of strep throat and a stomach bug going around infecting my singers) so the actual stage was not decorated (more important for the children to be able to move in my opinion) but I did decorate the sides of the stage.
On either side of the stage, I (with the help of many other teachers and assistants) put together these seasonal trees. Oh My GOSH-I was not expecting them to take forever to make. I thought to myself (before I got started obviously) “Oh, this won’t take anytime I all. I can probably do it in a couple episodes of The Office……” FALSE!!! About halfway through the first one (which had already taken a good 3 hours), I had to call for reinforcements. Luckily, I had two assistants who came and helped during the school day and 5 teachers who stayed late (some even until 6pm) to help finish them. I am so grateful to all those who gave up their time to help. I gave them all a cookie…..sad, I know…..
Aren’t my cords attractive? Since the trees were half green-summer trees and half autumn trees, I decided to have the front of the stage be springtime and use the Accent Essentials cartridge for Cricut to make flowers. They didn’t turn out exactly as I had hoped but I was really pressed for time there at the end. Oh well, I’ll know for next time to get an earlier start (and perhaps not drive 850 miles the weekend before but that’s another story). On a side note, I LOVE having a Cricut at school! I know it is obnoxious for one person to have two Cricuts but it has been so helpful to keep one at school and just transport my Gypsy between home and school.
These are not the most attractive flowers but they got the job done. I didn’t keep them like I try to keep most of the decorations I make for performances. I’ll remake them better next time.
For the title, I did something COMPLETELY different. Usually, I make some sort of banner and hang it from either the bottom of the stage or from the projection screen at the top of the stage. These time, I went off the norm and used the Songbird cartridge for Cricut to cut out little birds with letters spelling out the title. I don’t know if I like it or not but it got the job done.
Well, there you have it! Another successful program down. I had about 80% participation but, again, it would have been more without all the illnesses floating around. Still, for my first year at a campus that is not used to having student performances, I’m calling it a huge success. Thanks to everyone who helped make it so.
Next up! SPRING BREAK!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!
But, after that, 1st Grade program in April! See you then!